Freitag, 9. Mai 2014

How to make your own baby food

When I was pregnant, I knew that I would someday be making my son's baby food for two main reasons: 1) nutrition 2) cost savings.  I also later found that it's incredibly easy to do, with just a bit of planning.
Here are the supplies that I use:
Steamer Pot
Magic Bullet
Vitamix
Ice cube trays
I only buy organic produce - either from my local farmer's market or health food store.  Steam food under tender.  Add steamed food to Vitamix (big jobs) or Magic Bullet (small jobs), along with some of the water from the steamer.  Blend until smooth.  For big batches, you can freeze the food in ice cube trays.  Once frozen, store in a freezer bag.  Be sure to label the bag with the name of the food and the date prepared.

Making big batches has been a real time saver for me.  I pack my son's lunch at night, so I'll grab a couple of cubes and put them in a jar in the fridge to thaw out over night.  My son's daycare gave me a bunch of glass baby food jars, so that's what I use for his packed lunch.  I send two items for both breakfast and lunch, plus a snack.

Some of his favorite foods have been: sweet potatoes, butternut squash, applesauce, banana chia pudding, pumpkin, avocados.  Sometimes I will mix a couple of things together.  For example, I'll combine kale and sweet potatoes.  I also add in spices.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen